Vacancy: Communications Officer
Leiden University is seeking a communications officer for a new central department to support teaching and learning.
The communications officer shapes the communications strategy of the new department and manages the execution of all department and project-specific communications. This role will be responsible for overseeing project communications, editorial oversight of the department’s many communications channels, review of strategic documents and outreach and engagement with stakeholders both within and outside the University. You will work closely with our team to develop and promote content about a diverse range of projects. The ideal applicant will possess knowledge of community engagement, stakeholder management, identity development, and branding.
As Leiden University is currently forming a new central department to support teaching and learning, a large part of this role, in the beginning, will be to think strategically to create, implement, and communicate a new identity for the organisation. This could include branding, writing content, website development, designing templates and creating a long-term communications strategy, keeping university strategic goals in mind. As the department has in-house media and design expertise, your role will be to spearhead these projects, manage capacity and keep a keen eye for consistent messaging. You will be working with a multidisciplinary team to create an organisation that is an industry leader in educational innovation, support and professionalisation.
Who are you?
You’re a highly organised communications professional and a good communicator in Dutch and English. You can think strategically and translate big picture ideas into day-to-day work. You like to work with people but also thrive independently. You set goals and have strong time and people management skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the creation of project-specific communications campaigns;
- Create and/or review strategic communications within Leiden University and to partners, including project proposals and reports, policy advice, presentations and other official documentation;
- Coordinate a diverse range of projects and communications channels;
- Maintain and grow networks with Leiden University staff;
- Editorial management of both internal and external communications;
- Oversee and contribute to content development and growth over various platforms;
- Manage and oversee internal staff involved in communications or communications-related activities;
- Think creatively about how to communicate to the department team through various platforms such as an internal newsletter or team days;
- Develop and implement short- and long-term communications strategies for a newly created department that acts as Leiden University’s central hub for educational innovation, support and professionalisation.
- Have 3-5 years experience in communications or a similar role;
- Professional proficiency in English and Dutch;
- Experience with digital content development and strategy execution;
- Creative writer, able to build content, with a keen sense for aesthetics;
- Excited to work in an international environment;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically;
- Great team player with passion, dedication, and energy;
- Experience in Higher Education with an existing network in the NL and EU is a plus.
What’s in it for you?
- Work in a flexible, enthusiastic and collaborative team;
- Work with multidisciplinary colleagues across a broad range of projects;
- Contribute to communications strategy and big-picture brand integrity;
- This position is compensated according to the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of Dutch universities.
Interested? To apply, contact Uli Botzojorns with a cover letter and CV: u.botzojorns(at)sea.leidenuniv.nl. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and selected applicants will be invited for an interview.