Student Assistant Vacancy
Centre for Innovation is looking for a student assistant to support the development of a AR/VR HUB
Virtual and augmented reality are becoming increasingly important in scientific education and research, especially because they allow for experiences in education and research that can’t be otherwise obtained. The cutting-edge technology is maturing and most universities in Europe are experimenting with extended reality in some capacity. The Centre for Innovation of Leiden University is at the forefront of these developments. From this vantage point we see a distinct need for the exchange of apps and knowledge that are coming about in this field. To facilitate this exchange, we are developing a hub to facilitate collaboration and co-development between educational institutions, as well as with public and private partners.
- Will be a digital platform to share the (knowledge about building and using) AR and VR apps for education and research.
- The platform will be a portal, with documentation about the apps, from which you will be forwarded to the various app-stores where they are hosted.
- The HUB will also act as a network and facilitate the exchange of knowledge (and code) between participators, shared projects and off-line gatherings.
The Centre for Innovation is looking for support in the development of the HUB from a student assistant who is:
- interested in new media and cooperation in higher education in Europe;
- flexible and eager to learn new things;
- self-driven and organised;
- skilled in non-scientific desktop research;
- a team player who enjoys working collaboratively;
- fluent and excellent communicator in Dutch and English;
- available for 3 months, for 30 days in total in Fall & Winter 2019 (days are based on needs & availability).
Your main tasks will be:
- desktop research for AR/VR apps in higher education and the organisations / persons behind them;
- desktop research for examples of existing ‘HUBs’;
- co-developing the pilot HUB website (non-technical);
- assisting during on- and off-line conversations with potential partners.
What’s in it for you?
- working in a small (40 people) swiftly developing organisation;
- working with important issues and cutting edge technologies;
- joining mid and high-level meetings in and outside the university;
- flexible workdays and work-hours. Our offices are in The Hague and Leiden and it is possible to work partly remote;
- this position will be compensated according to the Leiden University salary scale.
Please submit your application no later than 13 September 2019 to Carel Jansen c [dot] j [dot] jansen [at] sea [dot] leidenuniv [dot] nl . Applicants should submit online a motivation letter accompanied by a CV.
About the Centre for Innovation
The Centre for Innovation (CFI) is a think- and do-tank of Leiden University which works as an innovation accelerator in the areas of learning, living and working. The mission of the Centre for Innovation is to identify and explore transformative trends in a digital world, creating innovative methods, products and solutions for Leiden University and its partners. We are a group of interdisciplinary experts, designers and developers with a vision to put people first in innovation.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Questions about the position can be made to Carel Jansen c [dot] j [dot] jansen [at] sea [dot] leidenuniv [dot] nl