Edtech for Sustainability: Designing Conferencing to go Digital
There are many reasons to facilitate virtual conferencing, including climate change, work pressure, and seeking to include a diverse audience. During this Design Thinking Session, we will discuss the kind of issues that come about when organising sustainable (digital) conferences and look for tech and non-tech solutions.
These solutions will be based on best practices from EdTech and existing pilots in various fields from all over the globe.
Our goals is to create some prototyped solutions that help us to create and execute sustainable (virtual) conferences. We will also determine concrete steps we can take to further develop our most viable prototypes.
What will you get out of it?
- A presentation about state of the art virtual conferencing
- Collaborating on best practices and a code for sustainable organising
- An action plan to help convince your colleagues to organise conferences sustainably, including flying less
- Giving input on possible improvements of the available technology of virtual conferencing
Academics, students and facilitators who wish to find (digital) solutions to #FlyingLess and other SDG challenges in organising conferences, seminars and academic project meetings.
Participants from in and outside Leiden University are welcome.
Virtual participation possible and results & resources will be available online afterwards.
13:00 -14:00 Plenary Session
After the opening there will be a brief virtual keynote address by dr Park Wilde of @flyingless
15 minute break.
14:15-16:30 Sub-sessions: designing a prototype
There will be three sub-sessions to design prototypes, and we will assign you to one beforehand based on your input in registration.
- How to organise your event sustainably?
- How to convince people to implement (digital)sustainability practices in your organisation?
- How can we improve digital applications for long distance exchanges?
15 minute break.
16:45 -17:30 Plenary Session
Results of the sub-sessions: Pitch your prototypes & give feedback. We will be joined live by dr. Park Wilde to comment on the pitches.
Wrap up and follow ups.
17:30-18:00 Networking & Drinks
The CFI is hosting this workshop and is the co-initiator of the Edtech for Sustainability Initiative / Kopgroep Duurzame Conferenties together with Stichting 2030.